Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
www.stlouiscardinalsteamshop.com
ANAHEIM Brett Cecil Jersey , Calif. (AP) — For the first time since 2000, a new manager will be in the home clubhouse at Tempe Diablo Stadium when the Los Angeles Angels report to spring training.Mike Scioscia spent 19 years in charge of the Halos, and Brad Ausmus is aware of the enormity of the shoes he is about to fill.The former Detroit manager already got a jump on his new job as a special assistant to general manager Billy Eppler, watching up close while the Angels completed their third straight losing season. He already has ideas about how to change it when the Angels get back to work.“I was with the Angels all last year,” Ausmus said. “I know the entire front office. I know the players. The players know who I am. So I think that’s going to make it a little bit easier.”Mike Trout, Albert Pujols, Justin Upton, Andrelton Simmons and Shohei Ohtani are all familiar with Ausmus, and they’re not alone. The Angels didn’t change the major components of last year’s 80-win team, instead banking on improved health and new leadership to propel them closer to their first playoff victory in Trout’s career.One thing fans won’t see much in spring is Ohtani, who is recovering after undergoing Tommy John surgery Oct. 1.Ohtani has been cleared for weight training, and he will be cleared to swing a bat shortly. He probably won’t hit in spring training games, and he won’t pitch at all this year.But Ohtani will be with his teammates throughout spring, and the AL Rookie of the Year’s mere presence will be enough to attract some fans hoping for a pregame autograph.Here are some more things to watch as the Ausmus Era begins in Tempe:NEW LOOK: Although Eppler never mentions it, Pujols’ mammoth contract looms over every decision made by the Angels http://www.stlouiscardinalsteamshop.com/...una-jersey , who didn’t spend on the biggest names in free agency. They added veteran starters Matt Harvey and Trevor Cahill and picked up Cleveland career saves leader Cody Allen for the bullpen, but well-traveled catcher Jonathan Lucroy was the biggest position-player addition. They’ll have proven big-league pitchers at every spot in the rotation, but no stars like Dallas Keuchel, who would seem a natural fit at the Big A.ROOKIES TO WATCH: For the first time in years, the Angels might have a couple of these — and it could make a big difference. Former GM Jerry Dipoto decimated the Angels’ farm system before he left in July 2015, and Eppler’s seeds are finally starting to blossom. Right-hander Griffin Canning seems likely to crack the roster this season, and promising position players Luis Rengifo and Jo Adell could be ready soon afterward.THEY’RE SET: The Angels look good up the middle, with Trout in center field backing a double-play combination of brilliant shortstop Simmons and youngster David Fletcher or veteran Zack Cozart at second. Lucroy is a quality veteran behind the plate, although many quality veteran hitters have suddenly forgotten how to hit upon joining the Angels.THEY’RE NOT: Pujols makes far too much money not to play, but Ohtani is a superior designated hitter. That means Pujols must keep himself in shape enough to play consistently at first base, where he is still a solid fielder. The Angels’ bullpen is an unpredictable mix of newcomers and inconsistent holdovers, but Eppler has a solid track record here.ON DECK: Along with Adell and Rengifo getting a taste of big-league camp, the Angels are welcoming back Peter Bourjos, the speedy outfielder drafted by LA in 2005. He spent four seasons with the Angels before making stops with six other organizations, but he is back with a minor-league deal and an invite to spring. If he rediscovers his swing Michael Wacha Jersey , a roster spot could be available when the Angels open the regular season March 28 in Oakland. CINCINNATI (AP) — Paul Goldschmidt and the Arizona Diamondbacks powered their way to a sorely needed win.Goldschmidt hit two of Arizona’s five homers, and the Diamondbacks avoided a sweep by pounding the Cincinnati Reds 9-2 on Sunday.Daniel Descalso, Eduardo Escobar and David Peralta also connected for Arizona, and Zack Godley pitched 6 2/3 innings of two-run ball. Goldschmidt finished with three hits and three RBIs, and Descalso also drove in three runs.“You don’t want to get swept,” said Descalso, who hit his first homer since June 27. “You want to win every series, but you don’t want to leave here 0-3. I don’t know if it was a must-win, but there was a little sense of urgency.”Godley (13-6) snapped a tie with Zack Greinke for the team lead in wins. The right-hander allowed six hits, struck out six and walked one while improving to 5-0 with a 3.09 ERA over his last six road starts.“Zack did a great job of setting the tone, and we played our type of game,” Arizona manager Torey Lovullo said. “The right guys stepped up.”The Diamondbacks were tied with the Dodgers for the NL West lead coming into the day.Last-place Cincinnati had won three of four, including the first two games of the weekend series. Jose Peraza and Eugenio Suarez each had two hits, but Luis Castillo (6-10) was tagged for five runs and five hits in 5 2/3 innings.Homers accounted for each of Arizona’s runs. Descalso hit a three-run shot in the first on a two-strike pitch, and Goldschmidt made it 5-2 with a two-run drive in the sixth.“I was supposed to throw inside on the 0-2 pitch Ozzie Smith Jersey , but it was over the plate and he took advantage of it,” Castillo said. “The pitch to Goldschmidt, I got it where I wanted, but he’s a big strong man and put a good swing on it. I thought it was a fly ball, but it kept going and going. I thought overall, I pitched well. The only mistake I made was to Descalso.”The Diamondbacks scored four more runs off Keury Mella in the ninth. Escobar hit a two-run shot, and Goldschmidt and Peralta added back-to-back homers.Joey Votto drove in Peraza with a sacrifice fly in the third. Cincinnati scored its first run when Arizona shortstop Nick Ahmed committed a throwing error on a potential double-play ball in the second, allowing Suarez to score from second.IN THE PARKGodley has not allowed a home run to any of the last 211 batters he has faced over nine games, including eight starts, since Starlin Castro went deep on June 26 at Miami.KNOWS HIS STUFFDescalso also doubled in the sixth to improve to 4 for 10 with two homers and six RBIs in his career against Castillo.UP NEXTDiamondbacks: Greinke (12-7) starts Monday night at Texas against Bartolo Colon (6-10). Greinke has allowed a combined three runs over 13 innings in his last two starts and lost both.Reds: Injury-plagued RHP Homer Bailey (1-9) makes his first start against Cleveland since Aug. 7, 2014. Mike Clevinger (7-7) pitches Monday night for Cincinnati.